COVID-19: For the latest information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Bowling Green, visit our Coronavirus Response page.

Community Development Block Grants

Having a population of 50,000 or greater, the City of Bowling Green became a designated as an Urbanized Area after the 2000 Census. This designation made the City eligible to become a direct recipient of Community Development Block Grant funding each year from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Since 2003, the City of Bowling Green has received CDBG funding to address community development and housing needs across the community. The City of Bowling Green currently receives approximately $500,000 - $600,000 each year from HUD. The City utilizes 80% of its annual funding for neighborhood improvements in the BG Reinvestment Area and the remaining 20% of funds for the Fair Housing Activities and the overall administration of the program.

BG Reinvestment Area

Map of BG Reinvestment Area

The BG Reinvestment Area is a six census tract area that contains the City’s lowest incomes, oldest housing stock, and highest concentration of minorities in comparison to the rest of the City as a whole. Under the Neighborhood Improvements Programs (NIP), the City selects one neighborhood at a time from the BG Reinvestment Area to make long term improvements tailored to the specific needs of the individual neighborhood to create a better residential and economic environment while also addressing the housing needs of the area.

NIP projects are selected from a two prong approach. First, two cross departmental teams of city staff members take neighborhood tours to gain a better understanding of the opportunities and challenges in the neighborhood. Second, a public meeting is held with all neighborhood residents and property owners invited to share their likes about the neighborhood and what opportunities they see for improvements on public and private properties. From this two prong approach, projects are selected for the betterment of the neighborhood.

The BG Reinvestment Area is designated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as a Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy Area (NRSA). NRSAs are intended to revitalize a targeted neighborhood by encouraging a coordinated approach through comprehensive place-based efforts. By targeting an area, CDBG grantees have the opportunity to stimulate investment and empower low-income residents in distressed neighborhoods. The NRSA designation gives greater flexibility with the CDBG funds for the City to undertake the community and economic development, and housing activities need to correctly address the needs of each neighborhood.

Fair Housing Program

Housing Authority of Bowling Green - Job & Education Fair

Fair Housing Community Neighborhood Celebration

For a number of years the City of Bowling Green has partnered with the Bowling Green Human Rights Commission (BGHRC) to provide fair housing education and outreach in the community. Through workshops and public events, this program provides information to the community on fair housing laws and issues relating to housing discrimination. The BGHRC assists citizens in filing and resolving housing discrimination complaints through mediation, education, and counseling. As a CDBG sub-recipient of the City, BGHRC serves around 2,000 people each year with this program.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.