Animal Protection

Animal Control Officers with the Bowling Green Code Compliance & Animal Protection Division provides quality enforcement pertaining to public safety, animal protection and animal welfare. Bowling Green's Animal Control Officers are highly trained, experienced, National Animal Protection Association (NACA) certified professionals. They are certified cruelty investigators and investigate animal abuse, enhance public awareness of animal ordinances and safety and respond to a variety of citizen requests for service. Services include: stray animals, leash law enforcement, barking dogs, regulating vicious/dangerous dogs, monitoring dog licensing, rabies control, and bite quarantines.

Dog and Cat Licensing
The City of Bowling Green requires annual licensing of all dogs and cats three (3) months of age or older. This license may be purchased at the Bowling Green Warren County Humane Society.  The license fee shall be due and payable on the first day of  July each year or on the first day of the month following the acquisition of the dog or cat.  The license tag must be attached to a suitable collar and kept on the dog or cat at all times.

Leash Law
Dogs allowed to roam our City's streets are not only a nuisance and dangerous to the public, but are in constant danger from cars, people, and even other animals. For these reasons, all dogs must be on a leash or confined on the owner's premises at all times. Dogs in violation of the leash law may be detained by Animal Protection and impounded at the Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society. In addition to impoundment fees, owners may be issued a citation and fine for a violation of the City Ordinance.

Bowling Green and Warren County is the home of many species of wildlife (bats, skunks, raccoons, etc.) known to transmit rabies to pets and people. It is required that all dogs, cats and ferrets three (3) months of age or older be vaccinated. Keep the rabies certificate as proof of current vaccination for licensing and proof of ownership. Rabies tags should be attached to your pet's collar or harness or affixed to it's enclosure or cage.

Animal Bites
The law requires all animal bites that break the skin be reported to the Bowling Green Police Department, Bowling Green Animal Protection, a doctor/physician or the local Health Department.

Failure of the owner of any animal to provide adequate food, water, shelter, opportunity for exercise, or veterinary care constitutes a violation of state law. In addition, intentional acts of cruelty, such as abandonment, harassment or torture will be vigorously prosecuted.

Pet Care
Make sure your pet has plenty of fresh water available at all times. Make sure your pet has shelter or shade from direct sun.

Females in heat should be kept confined to guard against unwanted matings. Citations and fines may be issued for allowing a female in heat to run at large. Please Spay or Neuter your pet to help control the pet population. We pick up animals every day that need loving homes.

When dogs are kept on tethers, the tether must be attached to the front of the dog’s shelter structure or to a post in front of the shelter structure and must be at least three times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail.  The tether must allow the dog convenient access to the shelter structure and to food and water containers.  The tether must be of the type and strength commonly used for the size dog involved and must be attached to the dog by a well-fitted collar or harness that will not cause trauma or injury to the dog.  The tether must be attached so that the dog cannot become entangled with other objects.

Collars or harnesses made from the following materials are prohibited: metal, wire, flat chains, chains, chains with sharp edges or chains with rusty or non-uniform links. 

Lost and Found Animals
All Bowling Green impounds are taken to the shelter. You may contact the Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society:

Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society
1924 Louisville Road 
P. O. Box 1456 (mailing address)
Bowling Green, KY 42102
Phone: 270-842-8572

Sick or Injured Animals
Please contact the Bowling Green-Warren County Humane Society regarding sick or injured animals.

Kentucky is known for its abundance of wildlife. Animal Protection Officers are not authorized to handle nuisance wildlife problems.  A nuisance wildlife control professional should be called.

Removal of Animal Waste
It is the responsibility of the owner to remove animal waste deposited by the animal within the City on public walks, streets, cemeteries, parks, recreation areas or private property belonging to another. 

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.