Personal Safety Tips
- Avoid shopping alone.
- Use the buddy system whenever possible.
- Shop before dark and always park in well-lighted areas.
- Use waist-pack carriers instead of purses.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked in your vehicle and home.
- Do not keep packages in plain view in your vehicle or home.
- Do not count cash in open areas, especially after leaving an ATM machine.
- Keep your address and home phone number private.
- When stores request a phone number, give only your work number.
- After making a credit card purchase, request the carbon copy and destroy it in private.
- Have keys in hand before returning to the vehicle.
- As you approach the car, check to see if anyone is hiding underneath or inside.
At Home (or your apartment)
- Never let strangers inside your residence.
- Keep your garage door closed to prevent thefts.
- When going out for the evening, turn on lights, a radio, or television to make your home or apartment appear occupied.
- Keep the garage door closed to prevent thefts.
- If you plan to be out of town for a few days, purchase an automatic timer for lights.
- Have a trusted neighbor watch your home and pick up your mail and newspapers.
- Ask them to park a vehicle in your driveway.
- Immediately after the holidays, mark new purchases and gifts with your driver's license number.
- Don’t use your full name on mailbox, telephone book, answering machine.
- Don’t leave schedule on answering machine.
- Don’t hide keys in easily accessible places-criminals will find them.
- Check photo ID on repairmen.
- Don’t let strangers in your home to use the phone.
- Make the call for them Wide-angle door viewer
On the Computer
- Shop only from well-established and reputable companies.
- Avoid auction sites if you do not feel comfortable buying or bidding.
- Before you give your credit card information, take note of the icons that indicate that security software is in place to secure your purchase.
- Print out and date a copy of all terms, conditions, warranties, item description, company information and confirming e-mails.
- Save this information as a record of your purchase.
- Avoid computer viruses and unwanted access to your information by not accepting e-mail from people you do not know.
On the Street
- NEVER hitchhike
- Walk in the middle of the sidewalk
- Walk facing oncoming traffic
- Don’t carry too many packages
- Don’t wear music headphones
- Don’t read while walking or standing on a sidewalk
- If you carry a purse w/shoulder strap be prepared to let go if snatched
- Carry a second wallet If confronted with a weapon-don’t resist
- Avoid being on the street if you are upset or intoxicated
- If you carry a purse, carry it close to your body, preferably in front and carry no more money or credit cards than you need.
- If confronted by someone who takes your property, get a good description to help the police in making the arrest.
In a Car
- Keep your car in good working order
- Check the area around your parked car
- Always park in visible, well lighted areas
- Avoid parking next to a large truck or van
- Have your keys ready when approaching your vehicle
- When sitting in your car, keep the doors locked and the windows rolled up
- When driving, keep all doors locked Any valuables in the car should be placed in the trunk
- Exercise extra caution when using underground or enclosed parking garages
- When stopped at traffic lights, allow space between you and the next vehicle in case you have to drive away
- If someone attempts to enter your car blow the horn and drive away
- Many people consider a cellular phone a good investment
- DO NOT pick up hitchhikers
- Do not open the window if someone approaches to ask questions
- Never leave house keys attached to car keys at service stations or parking facilities
- Do not stop for stranded vehicles
- Call for help If you have a flat tire, drive on it to a well-lighted area.
- If your vehicle is disabled, raise the hood, attach a handkerchief to the door handle, and stay in car with doors locked
- If you are involved in a minor accident that is suspicious-stay in the car
- If you are being followed, DON’T drive home
- Carry in your car-a flashlight, fix-a-flat, maps, warm clothing, a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, empty gas can, and a white cloth to tie on the door handle
- If you are driving in an area you are not familiar with, plan the route and check a map before you start out
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.