Personal Safety Tips
- Avoid shopping alone.
- Use the buddy system whenever possible.
- Shop before dark and always park in well-lighted areas.
- Use waist-pack carriers instead of purses.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked in your vehicle and home.
- Do not keep packages in plain view in your vehicle or home.
- Do not count cash in open areas, especially after leaving an ATM machine.
- Keep your address and home phone number private.
- When stores request a phone number, give only your work number.
- After making a credit card purchase, request the carbon copy and destroy it in private.
- Have keys in hand before returning to the vehicle.
- As you approach the car, check to see if anyone is hiding underneath or inside.
At Home (or your apartment)
- Never let strangers inside your residence.
- Keep your garage door closed to prevent thefts.
- When going out for the evening, turn on lights, a radio, or television to make your home or apartment appear occupied.
- Keep the garage door closed to prevent thefts.
- If you plan to be out of town for a few days, purchase an automatic timer for lights.
- Have a trusted neighbor watch your home and pick up your mail and newspapers.
- Ask them to park a vehicle in your driveway.
- Immediately after the holidays, mark new purchases and gifts with your driver's license number.
- Don’t use your full name on mailbox, telephone book, answering machine.
- Don’t leave schedule on answering machine.
- Don’t hide keys in easily accessible places-criminals will find them.
- Check photo ID on repairmen.
- Don’t let strangers in your home to use the phone.
- Make the call for them Wide-angle door viewer
On the Computer
- Shop only from well-established and reputable companies.
- Avoid auction sites if you do not feel comfortable buying or bidding.
- Before you give your credit card information, take note of the icons that indicate that security software is in place to secure your purchase.
- Print out and date a copy of all terms, conditions, warranties, item description, company information and confirming e-mails.
- Save this information as a record of your purchase.
- Avoid computer viruses and unwanted access to your information by not accepting e-mail from people you do not know.
On the Street
- NEVER hitchhike
- Walk in the middle of the sidewalk
- Walk facing oncoming traffic
- Don’t carry too many packages
- Don’t wear music headphones
- Don’t read while walking or standing on a sidewalk
- If you carry a purse w/shoulder strap be prepared to let go if snatched
- Carry a second wallet If confronted with a weapon-don’t resist
- Avoid being on the street if you are upset or intoxicated
- If you carry a purse, carry it close to your body, preferably in front and carry no more money or credit cards than you need.
- If confronted by someone who takes your property, get a good description to help the police in making the arrest.
In a Car
- Keep your car in good working order
- Check the area around your parked car
- Always park in visible, well lighted areas
- Avoid parking next to a large truck or van
- Have your keys ready when approaching your vehicle
- When sitting in your car, keep the doors locked and the windows rolled up
- When driving, keep all doors locked Any valuables in the car should be placed in the trunk
- Exercise extra caution when using underground or enclosed parking garages
- When stopped at traffic lights, allow space between you and the next vehicle in case you have to drive away
- If someone attempts to enter your car blow the horn and drive away
- Many people consider a cellular phone a good investment
- DO NOT pick up hitchhikers
- Do not open the window if someone approaches to ask questions
- Never leave house keys attached to car keys at service stations or parking facilities
- Do not stop for stranded vehicles
- Call for help If you have a flat tire, drive on it to a well-lighted area.
- If your vehicle is disabled, raise the hood, attach a handkerchief to the door handle, and stay in car with doors locked
- If you are involved in a minor accident that is suspicious-stay in the car
- If you are being followed, DON’T drive home
- Carry in your car-a flashlight, fix-a-flat, maps, warm clothing, a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, empty gas can, and a white cloth to tie on the door handle
- If you are driving in an area you are not familiar with, plan the route and check a map before you start out
Suggestions or problems with this page?
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.