Citizen Police Academy Application
What is the Citizen Police Academy (CPA)?
The Bowling Green Police Department Citizen Police Academy (CPA) provides an opportunity to learn first-hand about police operations. Through a series of hands-on demonstrations, interactive presentations and simulated activities, participants become better informed about the reality of police work and policing in our community. Class participants experience:
- CSI Bowling Green where you investigate a mock crime scene,
- a police ride-a-long,
- mock traffic stops,
- the Critical Response Team (SWAT) and hostage negotiations,
- Specialized Units (K-9, police motorcycle officers, Detectives, undercover drug operatives,
- visit the police firing range and fire police weapons (optional),
- and much much more.
Where does the CPA meet?
Most classes are conducted at the Police Department Community Room, located at 911 Kentucky Street. Some off-site visits are made to other relevant locations (e.g., jail tour, Justice Center, police firing range).
Who may attend the Citizen Police Academy?
- Any interested citizen who resides or works in Bowling Green or Warren County is encouraged to attend. Citizens involved in youth activities, neighborhood watch or neighborhood associations are very important to the Citizen Police Academy.
- Citizens 18 years of age or older.
- Citizens with no prior felony convictions.
Who is qualified to attend?
Must be either a Bowling Green/Warren County resident, business owner, or employed in the City of Bowling Green. Must pass a criminal history background check and be at least 18 years of age
Who will be Instructing the CPA?
Bowling Green Police Department and/or other Criminal Justice personnel.
The ten week program of instruction is comprehensive, covering a different area of policing each week. certified officers, supervisors, and civilian instructors with particular expertise will conduct each topic. The classes meet one night per week from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Classes are limited to 24 citizen attendees.
- Overview of Department Operations and Organizations
- Criminal Justice System
- Patrol Operations
- Communications and the processing of calls for service
- Firearms Training
- K-9 Demonstration / Traffic Stops
- Criminal Investigations/Crime Scene Processing and Investigation
Below is the schedule for the upcoming Citizen Police Academy. Classes will meet one day a week:
|Class||Dates||Day of the Week|
|Spring 2019||March 7th - ?||Thursday|
How do I apply for the Bowling Green Police Citizen Police Academy?
If you would like to apply for the Citizen's Police Academy, please sign up below. We will get in touch with you as soon as possible with more details.
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.