Small Business Tornado Relief Program
The City of Bowling Green is committed to its small business community and successful recovery from the impacts of the December Tornado Disaster. The Bowling Green Board of Commissioners authorized this program to give up to a 100% rebate on the City only portion of Property Tax for commercial property and/or City Net Profit to help provide relief to small businesses that were negatively impacted by the December tornados.
Small Business Tornado Relief Program Guidelines
Eligible Businesses that are negatively impacted by the December Tornados could receive up to a 100% rebate on the City only portion of Property Tax for commercial property and/or Net Profit for FIVE years.
If an approved business is currently outside of the designated area, then a 50% Net Profit rebate will be issued until said business moves back into the designated area at which time the Net Profit rebate would increase to 100%.
If an approved business leaves the designated area, then the Net Profit rebate will decrease from 100% to 50%.
There is no transferability for the rebates.
- If a business buys commercial property in the designated area from a previously approved applicant then the Property Tax rebate would end.
- If a business changes tax filing status and a common principle/officer has stayed with the business then the rebate will continue. If a common principle/officer has not stayed with the business then the Net Profit rebate will end.
The first available rebate will be the Tax Year 2022 Property Tax Payment and the Tax Year 2022 Net Profit filed and paid by the City due date.
To receive the rebate, Property Tax Invoices must be paid by December 31th, and Net Profits be filed and paid by the City due date. No rebate will be issued if taxes have NOT been paid by the due date. This will not disqualify applicants for the remaining periods, just the current year.
Rebates will be sent to eligible applicants after the due date.
Property Tax Rebates will be sent and made out to the individual or entity listed on the PVA website.
Net Profit Rebates will be sent and made out to the approved individual or entity on file with the City.
To remain impartial, the rebate program will be administered by a committee made up of various city staff. Rebate will be awarded based on eligibility and receipt of a complete application and on-time payment of Property Tax Invoice and Net Profit.
The city reserves the right to change or amend guidelines without notice and reserves the right to request additional information and supporting documentation.
- Be a for-profit business or 501c(3) non-profit organization physically located within the Bowling Green city limits.
- Be a rental property owner/business registered with the City on or before December 11th.
- The property must be commercial. Residential Property is INELIGIBLE for the property tax rebate.
- Have a current City of Bowling Green Business registration and not be delinquent in payment of taxes or fees owed to the City of Bowling Green as of December 31, 2023, or by the time application is sent in.
- Business must have been operational and in the designated area on December 11th. Click the Tornado Relief button below to confirm if the address is in the tornado path.
- Be able to demonstrate that the business was negatively impacted by the December Tornados. This can be done by providing a brief narrative of how the business was impacted in the application.
- Have no more than 50 full-time equivalents (FTEs).
- Must NOT be currently using other City incentives: Payment In Lieu of Taxes (PILOTs), JDIP, Annexation Rebates, and Historical Moratoriums.
Please see the link below, to find out if you are in the affected area:
If your business has multiple locations, the Net Profit will be apportioned based on how many locations were in the designated area and how many locations are within the City limits.
Number of locations within the city of Bowling Green: 5
Number of locations within the affected area approved for rebate: 3
Divide the number of locations in the affected area by the total number of locations in Bowling Green
(3 / 5 = 60%) net profit paid for rebate year $1000 X 60% = $600.00 rebate
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.