Licensing Information & Applications

General Contractor

If you are presently doing any type of general contract work in Bowling Green / Warren County including pulling permits for building or remodeling, construction management, or if you would have two or more subcontractors per job, you will need to acquire a General Contractors License.

Specialty Contractor

If you are presently doing any type of subcontract work in Bowling Green / Warren County or would have a maximum of one subcontractor per job, you will need to acquire a Specialty Contractors License.

This license is required by Ordinance 91-58 WC and Ordinance 91-25 BG.  Listed below are the instructions for obtaining a license.

  1. Fill out a Contractors License Application form, and furnish the Contractors Licensing Board a certificate of insurance with the Contractors Licensing Board listed as the certificate holder:
    • The minimum requirement for General Liability Insurance is $100,000 per occurrence.
    • If you have any employees, your Certificate of Insurance must indicate your Workers Compensation coverage.
    • If you do not have employees, contact the Contractors Licensing Board for an Affidavit of Exemption which must be signed and notarized.
    • If you are applying as a partnership, you must sign and notarize a Partnership Agreement.
  2. The fee for a General Contractors License is $250.00.  The fee for a Specialty Contractors License is $100.00.  Please mail the completed application, your certificate of insurance and check payable to the Contractors Licensing Board to PO Box 1268, Bowling Green, KY  42102.
    • You will be assigned a license number and your license certificate will be mailed to you.
  3. If you plan on working within the Bowling Green city limits, you are required to obtain a Bowling Green Occupational License.  This may be obtained by contacting the Finance Department at the Bowling Green City Hall Annex or by phoning 270-393-3000. 
  4. If you plan on working within Warren County, outside of corporate limits of Bowling Green, you are required to obtain a Warren County Occupational License. Please complete the Warren County Occupational Business License application form, and return it to the Warren County Treasurer at 429 East 10th Street. There is no fee for this application. For questions, please call 270-842-5805.

If you have any questions, please contact the Contractors Licensing Board at 1141 State Street, Suite 200, or phone 270-781-3530.


  • The fees for a Bowling Green/Warren County Contractors License are NON-REFUNDABLE.
  • Should you be unable to perform work as a general or specialty contractor in Bowling Green – Warren County as anticipated or otherwise cease doing business, you will not be entitled to a refund any portion of your license fee.
  • In addition to the BG/WC Contractors License, there may be other local, state, or federal regulations governing your trade or specialty.
  • The Contractors Licensing Board does not warrant that you are otherwise qualified to perform your trade or specialty by the issuance of its license.
  • Any change in ownership nullifies previous licenses and shall require a new application to be submitted.
  • Failure to abide by all Contractors Licensing Board rules and regulations can result in the issuance of a code enforcement citation which could incur fines and/or further legal action prohibiting company from working in Bowling Green /Warren County.
Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.