Who must hold a contractors license?

Any person engaging in the business of a general contractor or a specialty contractor within Bowling Green-Warren County.

Who are the representatives for the Bowling Green-Warren County Contractors Licensing Board?

Who are the representatives for the Bowling Green-Warren County Contractors Licensing Board? The Board consists of nine members to be appointed by the Mayor and County Judge Executive, jointly with approval of their respective legislature bodies in the following manner:

  • One member from the City of Bowling Green Board of Commissioners to be appointed by the Mayor with approval of the Board of Commissioners
  • One member from the Warren County Fiscal Court to be appointed by the Judge Executive with the approval of Fiscal Court
  • One member from a list submitted by the Builders Association of Bowling Green
  • One member from a list submitted by the ABC/Southern Kentucky Builders Exchange
  • One general contractor at large and one specialty contractor at large
  • Two representatives from a local trade or specialty association
  • One representative from a craft committee at the Bowling Green Vocational Technical School

Board appointees shall serve for a period of three (3) years and shall serve without compensation.

When does the Board meet?

The regular meeting of the Contractors Licensing Board is the first Wednesday of every month at 5:00 pm at the Contractors Licensing Board offices at 1141 State Street.

Who are General Contractors and who are Specialty Contractors?

A "general contractor" refers to a contractor whose business operations require the use of more than two unrelated building trades or crafts that the contractor supervises or performs. This may include construction, remodeling, repair or improvement of commercial, industrial and residential buildings or other structures, sidewalks, or street pavement. A "specialty contractor" refers to any person providing special skills involving the use of specialized building trades or crafts. Electricians and plumbers are included in this category.

How much does a license cost?

A General Contractors License cost $250.00. A Specialty Contractors License costs $100.00.

What is required to obtain a license?

In order to receive a contractors license, an applicant must provide proof of construction liability insurance, proof of compliance with Kentucky's unemployment insurance and workers' compensation laws, and proof of compliance with other specialty craft laws and regulations. An applicant must provide local, state and federal tax numbers and comply with local, state and federal ordinances.

When must the License be renewed?

All contractors' licenses are valid for twelve months and must be renewed annually. The Board will send out renewal notices approximately 30 days in advance of due date. The licensee should provide proof of compliance with Kentucky's workers' compensation and unemployment insurance laws, proof of construction liability insurance, and proof of compliance with all local ordinances and regulations.

If I stop doing business before the license expires, may I receive a refund?

No. The fees for a Bowling Green-Warren County Contractors license are non-refundable. Should you be unable to perform work as a general contractor/specialty contractor in Bowling Green-Warren County as anticipated or otherwise cease doing business, you will not be entitled to a refund of any portion of your license fee.

Who can operate under the license?

Only the company to whom the license was assigned, along with the company's employees, can operate under the license. Licenses are not transferable, and no person can operate under another's license.

What happens if a partnership loses or gains partners?

Upon any change in the composition of the partnership, registration becomes invalid. Moreover, licenses are not transferable, and each license must specify the name of the person to whom it is issued.

For what reasons may a license be revoked?

Any person licensed under these regulations who leases, loans, rents, or otherwise permits an unlicensed or unauthorized person or entity to operate under its license shall have such license revoked. Furthermore, the Board may suspend or revoke a contractors' license for violating the licensing requirements, local, state, or federal laws, or for gross negligence, incompetency, or misconduct. A licensee whose license has been canceled shall not be relicensed during the current calendar year in which he has committed the offense for which such cancellation was ordered, unless the director has ordered the suspension of the license for a specific period of time.

What happens if I operate without a license or do not conform to the requirements for maintaining a license?

If a licensee does not conform to the requirements for maintaining a license, the Board may suspend or permanently revoke any license issued by it. If a contractor is found to be operating without a license, the Board is authorized to bring the necessary legal action, including cease and desist orders, against unlicensed contractors. The director may also apply for an injunction restraining the contractor's actions.

How are consumer complaints handled by the Board?

Any aggrieved person may file a complaint against any licensee. The complaint should first be filed with the Board. Then, if the Board finds that an investigation is necessary, it will begin within ten days of the Board meeting. If the licensee appears to have violated any rules, a hearing will be held and the license could be revoked.

Where can I get more information?

For more information, please phone us at270-781-3530, fax us at270-781-3481, or write to the Contractors Licensing Board at 1141 State Street, Suite 200, P.O. Box 1268, Bowling Green, Kentucky, 42102-1268.

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.