Camping Fire Safety Tips
- July 8, 2020
- Fire Department
- Marlee Boenig - 270-393-3120
- Bowling Green, KY
This time of year finds many people camping out so they can explore the great outdoors! The Bowling Green Fire Department recommends that you keep fire safety in mind when you're camping out.
- Use flame-retardant tents & sleeping bags.
- Keep cook stoves and candles out of tents; use only battery-powered lanterns inside the tent.
- Place campfires & stoves away from tents & sleeping gear. Also remember to keep the campfire downwind.
- Don’t smoke near sleeping bags and dispose of the ashes properly when finished.
- A small campfire can turn into a roaring forest fire; be careful when lighting, maintaining & putting out your campfire.
- After digging a small campfire pit, circle it with rocks or a metal fire ring. Clear a 5' area around it down to the soil.
- Keep a bucket of water and a shovel nearby your campfire. To extinguish the fire, cover with dirt & pour water over it.
- Stack any extra campfire wood upwind and away from the campfire.
- Never leave a campfire unattended, not even for a minute. Always completely extinguish it before going to sleep or leaving the campsite.
Is there anything wrong with this page?
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.