The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

Special Events

Some public and private events may require a Special Event/Parade Permit.  These may include events for which an outdoor tent or electrical equipment is used, block parties or events that take place on City property.  To find out if your planned event requires such a permit, contact City Central.   A Special Event/Parade Permit Application Packet will be provided to you, or you can access the packet online at the City’s website. 

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

Obtain Special Event/Parade Permit Application Form from City Central.  Return completed application form to the City Central office at least forty five (45) days prior to the event.  Any permit application turned in less than forty-five (45) days prior to an event will be handled on an individual basis.  A late application may not be approved due to the burden it may place on City departments.

Once the event organizer obtains all necessary permits and meets any additional requirements, the City Central office will approve the Special Event/Parade Permit.  At this time, the event organizer may be required to post a performance bond.  This bond is determined by City Central based on information contained in the application and will be used to pay for clean-up and damages applicable.  The performance bond needs to be in the form of a check made payable to the City of Bowling Green or in any other form as established by City Central, and will be refunded in full within 30 business days following the event, if no damage has occurred and if all clean up is completed properly. 

If there is damage or if the City is required to perform any clean-up, all or a portion of the bond will be kept by the City of Bowling Green to recover those costs.  If this event is held on City property or if a parade involves floats, animals or other objects that may pose a risk of damage or injury, then a Certificate of Insurance shall be required.  Contact City Central for a copy of insurance guidelines.

It is the responsibility of the city to...

The completed Special Event/Parade Permit Application Form will be distributed by City Central to representatives in the necessary City departments, and required outside agencies.  The department and agency representatives will have fifteen (15) days to review the application and return it to the City Central office.  The City Central office will recommend approval, denial or approval with changes.  Department representatives will also list any permits and/or prerequisites required by that department.  The City Central office will review the event application with the Police Department representative to prepare a security/crowd control plan, and determine the minimum number of required Police Officers.  In some cases, this review may involve viewing of the event site or parade route.  The Police Department will determine if any streets will need to be closed, as well as where barricade and/or traffic cones will need to be used.  Some larger, more involved events will require a meeting of relevant City departments and the event organizer.  If the event is approved with changes, the City Central office will assist and/or guide the event organizer with making all necessary changes.  A copy of the approved application will be returned to the event organizer.  The event organizer shall maintain at all times the approved copy of the application during the entire event and/or parade.  If the event is denied, the City Central office will issue a letter of denial.  The event organizer may appeal the decision to the City Manager within seven (7) days of receipt of notice of denial, by filing a written notice with the City Clerk.  The City Manager shall act upon the appeal within seven (7) days after its receipt.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

City Central, NCS Building, 707 E. Main Avenue, (270) 393-3444


Office of City Clerk, City Hall, 1001 College St., P.O. Box 430, Bowling Green, KY 42102-0430, (270) 393-3000

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.