The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

Residential Areas

The City of Bowling Green's Zoning Ordinance requires that all parking in residential areas be paved with concrete or asphalt.  In single-family residential districts, parking is not allowed in the front yard of a housing unit, with a few exceptions. 

The City of Bowling Green’s Public Works Department investigates complaints regarding congestion related to on-street parking in residential neighborhoods and works with neighborhoods to try to resolve parking headaches.

The following are some examples of the places where parking is restricted, even if not marked or so signed (unless otherwise indicated or approved) and one might be ticketed for parking in these areas:

1. On sidewalks.
2. In front of a public or private driveway.
5. Within an intersection.
6. Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant.
7. Within a minimum of 20 feet (30 feet recommended) of any traffic control device such as a flashing beacon, stop sign or traffic signal.
8. On the roadside of any vehicle stopped or parked (double parking).
9. On any bridge or other elevated structure on a highway or within a highway tunnel.
10. Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection (30 feet at signalized intersection recommended).
12. On or within 10 feet of a cross-walk.
13. Within 50 feet of a railroad crossing.
14. Within 20 feet of a fire station entrance.
15. Within 75 feet of a fire station on the opposite side of the street.
16. Within a minimum of 10 feet (15 feet recommended) of driveway (5 feet of radius or flare return).

Public Works is making efforts to mark these areas as needed and time allows.  Please see following sections regarding tickets, who enforces, etc.  Please note that parking is restricted where so marked or signed regardless of, or in addition to above restrictions.

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

To file a complaint of parking on an improper surface, contact City Central.  Please have the property address and information regarding the number, types and locations of parked vehicles.

To request changes to on-street parking conditions in a neighborhood, contact City Central.  Depending on the scope of the impact of the requested change, submission of a "Request to Change Traffic Conditions" form may be required.

It is the responsibility of the city to...

City Code Enforcement staff investigate zoning complaints in a timely manner and take any necessary action.  Public Works’ Engineering Division thoroughly assesses and investigates each on-street parking situation using industry standards and guidelines.  The Neighborhood Services Division assists with processing each "Request to Change Traffic Condition" and coordinates with Engineering to obtain feedback from the affected area.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

City Central, City Hall, 1017 College St., (270) 393-3444

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.