The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

Sitework Permits

A sitework permit is required for any grading, excavation, filling or removal of soil, or paving, on any lot or parcel of ground, in excess of 1,700 square feet.  A separate sitework permit and building permit would only be necessary if it is the desire of the applicant to begin site work prior to obtaining final building plans from the architect/engineer or if there will be no building permit ultimately filed.   A separate sitework permit would not be required if all site work and structure construction can commence at one time, when the building permit is issued.

Should the disturbed area be greater than 1 acre, additional storm water requirements will be necessary.  This holds for any permit, primarily pool, building, and sitework.

Also for any sitework, building, or pool permit requiring the submittal at a plot plan level, a City of Bowling Green Erosion Prevention & Sediment Control (EPSC) Certified Contractor must be identified on the application.  A current listing of EPSC Certified Contractors can be found on the City's website:

Any sitework permit is then sent to the City of Bowling Green's Public Works Department, City-County Planning Commission, the applicable utility company, and others as applicable. If any agency adds a condition to the application, you must comply in order for your permit to be valid.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

Building Division, Neighborhood & Community Services Dept., NCS Building, 707 E. Main Avenue, (270) 393-3615

Sitework Permits:  Engineering Division, Public Works Dept., 1011 College St., (270) 393-3587

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.