The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

Building: Electrical Permits

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

In order to obtain an electrical permit you are required to have a Contractor License and a Master License from the State of Kentucky.  You are also required to have a local contractor’s license and a local occupational license with the City of Bowling Green.

If you are a resident homeowner and wish to install wiring on your own premises, you must visit an Electrical Inspector at the Building Division to discuss the type of project proposed. You must also own and occupy the residence.  Electrical permits for rental properties will not be issued to property owners. The Inspector will judge whether to issue an electrical permit to you based on knowledge of the electrical codes and practices. Call to set up an appointment with the Inspector (270) 393-3675.

When the electrical wiring has been installed, but prior to installation of the insulation or wall covering, the contractor/homeowner is required by state and local laws to get a rough-in inspection. It is your responsibility to call the Electrical Inspector to request an inspection. The work will be inspected for compliance with the current edition of the National Electric Code. After you have passed the rough-in inspection, insulation and wall covering may be installed. Once the installation of all devices and light fixtures are complete you must call the Electrical Inspector for a final electrical inspection.


It is the responsibility of the city to...

The Electrical Inspector will check the electrical service and polarity in the receptacles and lights to insure that everything works properly and safely.  When the work has passed final inspection, the Electrical Inspector will complete a State-issued Certificate of Compliance and will apply a final electrical (green) sticker to the breaker panel box cover. One copy of the Certificate is left at the property or given to the homeowner, one copy is given to the electrical contractor, and one copy is given to the utility company supplying power. One copy is also retained at the Building Division for a period of three years.

The Building Inspector is notified of the completed electrical part of the project and the General Contractor may then contact the Building Inspector for a final building inspection.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

Building Division, Neighborhood & Community Services Dept., NCS Building, 707 E. Main Avenue, (270) 393-3676

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.