COVID-19: For the latest information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Bowling Green, visit our Coronavirus Response page.

Bird Problems

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

Become educated about some of the preferred conditions for bird roosts.  Avoid planting trees which do not lose their foliage in the fall (such as Bradford pears and other popular, fast-growing species), as these trees offer attractive places for starlings, blackbirds and other birds to roost.  Do not use bottle rockets, other fireworks, or firearms as a means to harass the birds, as these are all restricted or prohibited by City ordinance. Residents may contact Citizen Information & Assistance to request an assessment of their bird problem by Animal Control.  If residents use pyrotechnics borrowed from an agency (air cannons, etc.), they should contact Bowling Green Police Dispatch at 393-4000 to notify them of the time frame and location where such devices will be employed.

It is the responsibility of the city to...

Bowling Green Animal Control & Protection  contracts with the U.S.D.A. for some bird abatement services on a case by case basis, depending on the specific circumstances and extent of the nuisance and its potential impact on public safety.  Private citizens may also contact the U.S.D.A. for advice in abating problems themselves.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

Citizen Information & Assistance (270) 393-3444. For notification of pyrotechnic use only:  BG Police Communications Center, 911 Kentucky Street, (270) 393-4000.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.