The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

Wild and Exotic

The City’s Animal Ordinance governs the keeping of wild and exotic animals, and reads in part as follows: 

“Exotic or wild animal” shall mean any live monkey, nonhuman primate, member of the feline species other than domestic cat, member of the canine species other than  domestic dog, raccoon, skunk, fox, bear, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded animal that can normally be found in the wild, alligator, crocodile, cayman, sea mammal, venomous or poisonous reptiles, amphibians or insects, constrictor snakes, any other animal identified by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources as inherently dangerous to human health and safety, and any other animal that would require a standard of care and control greater than that required for customary household pets sold by commercial pet shops or domestic farm animals.  Wild animal does not include domestic dogs (excluding hybrids with wolves, coyotes or jackals), domestic cats (excluding hybrids with ocelots or margays), farm animals, rodents or any hybrid animal that is part wild and captive-bred species of common cage birds.

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

Abide by the animal ordinance sections pertaining to exotic and wild animals.  Anyone wishing to own, harbor or keep any exotic or wild animal must obtain a permit (at no charge) from the City of Bowling Green and, where required by statute, from the State Department of Fish and Wildlife.  Permits shall be given by the City only if it is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Animal Control Officer that the facility where the animal is to be kept is adequate for that animal, the animal is or will be properly restrained and the animal will not constitute a threat to public health or safety.  Any movement of the exotic or wild animal within the City will also require the written permission of the Animal Control Officer.

Report violations of this section of the animal ordinance to Animal Control & Protection.

Contact Animal Control & Protection for instructions in seeking a permit for wild/exotic animals.

It is the responsibility of the city to...

Animal Control Officers will investigate reports of animal ordinance violations, participate in the permitting process, and make inspections of facilities where wild or exotic animals will be kept.  The City will maintain a database of permits and locations where these animals will be located.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

Animal Control & Protection, Neighborhood & Community Services Department, 707 E. Main Avenue, (270) 393-4000

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife, Wildlife Biologists/Private Lands, (270) 746-7128

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.