The Greatest Challenge: When tornadoes roared through our community December 11, 2021, the loss of lives and destruction of property created the greatest challenge our community has faced in modern time. This is our story of resiliency through the eyes of your City employees and other community leaders. Read Our Story

If you'd like to contribute your own personal tornado story, please email your story to Stories may be edited at the City's discretion.

House Numbers

The Bowling Green Code of Ordinances requires that house numbers be placed on all residences and commercial buildings.  The cost of the numbers shall be paid for by the property owner and the numbers used shall not be less than three (3") inches in height with four (4") inches in height recommended and shall be made of a durable and clearly visible material. 

Numbers shall be conspicuously placed immediately above, on or at the side of the proper door of each building so that the number can be seen plainly from the street line.  Only Arabic numbers shall be used.  Roman numerals, script numerals or other types of numerals shall not be allowed. 

All commercial and industrial property shall have the numbers posted on both the mailbox and building so that the numbers are visible and identifiable at all times during daylight hours to persons in vehicles traveling on the street upon which the building is located. 

Commercial buildings with multiple occupants shall display visible business names and street numbers on back doors facing a public street providing access to the property.

As a citizen it is my responsibility to...

In addition to the above (required house numbers on all residences and commercial buildings) one may contact City Central for permission to mark curb in front of business or home with same number as on residence or commercial building.  City traffic engineer will review markings requests for acceptability.  Such markings are not approved unless accepted by the city traffic engineer.  We have a desire for communities to be consistent in marking style, location, etc.

Please note some routes through the city may require state approval before citizen can mark curbs with numbers.

If I am interested, who do I contact...

City Central, NCS Building, 707 E. Main Avenue, (270) 393-3444

Online Request Form:

Suggestions or problems with this page?

Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.

Would you like a reply?

We'll only use this to reply to your message.