Sustaining the New Tree
Tree Pruning GuideClick to view this downloadable PowerPoint presentation for information on tree pruning.
- Limit at planting time to removing broken, crossing, rubbing branches, alleviating structure problem
- Remove basal sprouts
- Encourage a central leader
- Leave lower branches on the tree to stimulate root and trunk diameter growth
Common Pruning Mistakes
- Do not thin the tree to compensate for root loss
- Do not raise lower limbs, these will help add girth to trunk and root growth
- Pruning paints and sealers do not prevent decay or promote rapid closure, not recommended
- Pruning Flush cutting branch back to trunk is incorrect, it wounds the trunk and causes decay.
- Make the cut along branch collar.