Residential Loose Leaf Pickup
Find Out Your Leaf Zone
and Pickup Dates
Information can also be found on
Insight Cable Channel 4
and the Public Works
Leaf Hotline at 393-3333
Loose Leaf Pickup Guidelines
In an effort to keep the leaf crews on schedule and to prevent leaf machines from breaking down the following guidelines have been implemented:
- The City is divided into ten (10) work zones.
- Leaves must be raked to the curb the day before the zone is scheduled
to receive service.
- Each zone will receive service for two (2) consecutive business days on a rotating basis.
- A zone will not receive service before the scheduled pickup date.
- If a zone is not completed within the two (2) day period, the leaf crews will move into the next scheduled zone and back track to complete the incomplete zones as time permits.
- Leaves must not be raked in the street, in the gutter-line, on the sidewalks, around parked cars, or around fire hydrants.
- Leaves must not obstruct drainage structures, catch basins, mailboxes, sidewalks, or guy wires.
- Leaves must be free of limbs, rocks, tires, wheels, household trash, or other debris that can damage equipment or cause injury.
- Leaves will be picked up on the street or alley the residence faces.
- Leaves will not be picked up within privately owned trailer parks, on private property, in subdivision outside the city limits, or on the premises of businesses.
- Scott Waste Management will pick up bagged leaves on your regular garbage pickup day.
- If we intentionally do not pick up your leaves, we will place an ORANGE door hanger on your door explaining the reason why your leaves were not picked up along with a contact number.
Notice to Residents of College Hill Historic District: Under some conditions, such as in the College Hill District, we will close streets to parking to allow efficient pickup. We will coordinate closures with Police, Fire, EMS and WKU. We will advertise restricted parking dates 72 hours in advance via the internet and local media. We will mark streets with “No Parking” signs. We will avoid towing parked vehicles whenever possible, may be forced to leave leaves in place if vehicles obstruct access, but will tow vehicles if we cannot access leaves that we cannot leave in place (e.g. close to drainage structures).
Important Dates for 2013 Leaf Season
Begin testing equipment and taking individual pickup requests from citizens.
October 28 (Tentative)
Leaf Season zone pickup begins starting in Zone 6, or the next zone in numerical sequence should Zone 6 not require pickup. Individual request pickups discontinued on this date.
November 28 - 29
No leaf pickup due to Thanksgiving Holiday
December 24 - 25
No leaf pickup due to Christmas Holiday
Daily leaf pickup by zone officially ends
No leaf pickup due to New Year's Holiday
December 27- January 31
Leaf pickup resumes on a call-in basis (270-393-3333). Pickup will also be accomplished as needed to re-establish free drainage.
Schedule is subject to change at any time,
there will be no leaf pickup on holidays, and we will not be working any overtime unless it is absolutely necessary.