Are you ready to begin your career as a firefighter? Protect life and property all while making a difference in your community. The Bowling Green Fire Department engages directly in fire suppression, prevention, EMS first response, hazardous material mitigation, as well as technical rescue.
The City of Bowling Green is a vibrant, growing, and diverse community located in south-central Kentucky. It is the 3rd largest city in the state and conveniently located between Nashville and Louisville. Bowling Green offers a combination of big-city amenities and small-town feel.
Why become a firefighter?
- Competitive salary ($40,304 annual rate) ($44,304 after completing initial training)
- 24 hours on, 48 hours off shift rotation
- 12 weeks of in-house training, plus on-going in-house training
- Medical insurance (the City pays approximately 95% of premiums)
- Annual uniform allowance
- Ability to cash in leave time (twice per year)
- 24/7 fitness facility
- Dental and vision care provided at 100% for employee
- State retirement program
For a more detailed list of benefits, view the following document:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be US Citizen
- Valid driver's license
Candidate Physical Ability Test
All applicants must be CPAT certified before their appointment date. The City of Bowling Green will host a CPAT testing session during the application process. Applicants can elect to participate in this CPAT test however they may obtain the CPAT certification anywhere testing is offered.
The CPAT is a pass/fail timed test which consists of eight separate events (stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, ladder raise and extension, forcible entry, search, rescue, and ceiling breach and pull). The test is a sequence of events that requires the candidate to progress along a predetermined path from event to event in a continuous manner.
- CPAT: General Information (PDF)
- CPAT Candidate Preparation Guide (Firefighters)
- CPAT Orientation Guide (Firefighters)
Friday, July 15, 2018
Sloan Convention Center
Saturday, July 28, 2018, 7:30am
*Polygraph Questionnaire Due at Registration
August 13 - August 24, 2018
Medical Center EMS
210 East 3rd Ave
September 1, 2018
Fire Administration Building
September 3-14, 2018
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.