Employee Newsletter (April 2018)
Mar 29, 2018
The employee newsletter is now available to view on the CLICK for the month of April:
Following Finance - Spring 2018
Mar 29, 2018
The Spring 2018 issue of the Following Finance Newsletter is now available on the CLICK.
This issue contains information on Memorial Day payroll processing, upcoming training opportunities, and taxable uniform benefits. Contact Erin Ballou with any questions.
Adopted Pension Bill Summary Update (April 16)
Feb 27, 2018
REVISED: The summary of Adopted Senate Bill 151 has been posted under Human Resources documents - Benefits Corner - Retirement, as the 2018 Adopted Pension Bill Summary. The summary was prepared by the Kentucky Retirement System. This is the bill that was approved by the legislature, vetoed by the governor, and then veto overridden.
Personnel Policy Manuals Updated
Jan 4, 2018
The personnel policy manual for full-time ("classified") employees has been updated and approved effective April 1. The final version has been posted on the CLICK. The draft showing edits and a summary of the significant changes, were posted on the CLICK at the beginning of the year, and are still on the CLICK for reference. The adopted manual is in the "Manuals and Policies" section of the Human Resources & Risk Management documents page; the other two documents are in the "Policy Changes" category. The Exempt Personnel manual for part-time/seasonal employees has also been updated and is in the "Manuals and Policies" section. Both will be sent to the printers and copies distributed to personnel. In the meantime, please feel free to utilize the manuals on the CLICK. Please contact Mike Grubbs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 393-3633 if you have any questions about the changes.
Following Finance - Fall/Winter FY2018
Nov 15, 2017
The Fall/Winter edition of the Following Finance newsletter is now available on the CLICK under Finance > AP/Accounting > Following Finance Newsletters.
Highlights this issue include:
- PO approval email notifications
- PureSafety training for P-cards
- Payroll processing change for Christmas
- Changes to AP & Payroll deadlines
Please contact me with any questions.
Pension Bill Summary & Comparison - Oct. 28, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Two documents have been posted under Human Resources - Benefits Corner - Retirement, pertaining to the proposed Pension Bill issued October 28:
Pension Bill Draft Summary - Section by Section Summary: section pertaining to CERS - pages 7-11
Pension Bill Comparison of Current & Proposed Plans/Benefits: section pertaining to CERS - pages 1-5
Results of Fiscal Year 2017 Internal Services Employee Survey
Aug 9, 2017
THANK YOU to everyone who participated and shared your comments in the seventh annual Internal Services Employee Survey. Without your input, it is difficult to gage the City's overall customer service performance. There were approximately 671 surveys distributed (based on the number of FT & PT employees on staff as of July 31, 2017) and 155 responses collected, providing a 23.1% response rate. Unfortunately, this year's efforts fell short of last year's response rate which was still not quite as good as other past years. For those who chose not to participate this year, please consider providing feedback during next year's process. Your opinion really does matter and helps to make a difference!
The information gathered will be used in conjunction with our quarterly/annual performance measurement reporting as well as in our efforts to continually improve internal customer satisfaction. The results of the survey are available for your review and reference.
FY17 Internal Services Employee Survey Results
Additionally, a comparison of responses over the past few years has been updated to show those areas which continue to perform well and those areas still needing further improvement. Each category was given a grade point, and the cumulative scores for FY17 identify all but two areas as ranking "good" or better. Facilities Repair & Maint. still ranks as "fair," reflecting a slight decline from last year, and Wireless Services, which reflects one of the largest improvements over last year among all categories. This year's highest score stays with Purchasing-Surplus Services. Although most service areas show a modest decline compared to last year's score, these minor fluctuations are not uncommon based on the number of given responses compared to the potential number of responses for that year. One other change of note is the Multi Year Avg GPA for Cellular Phones has finally reached a level of "good" leaving just three categories still below 3.0. overall.
Your dedication and service to the City of Bowling Green, and especially to your fellow co-workers is very much appreciated. Thank you again for your time and consideration as we continue to find ways to better serve ALL of our customers!
Assistant City Manager/City Clerk
Information Technology News
Jul 31, 2017
- MessageScreen (e-mail spam filter) will no longer be supported by the Vendor this Fall. We are currently testing out a new product that will be implemented in the very near future. More to come on that.
- DM (document management) will also be replaced this year with a product that ultimately will handle documents, searching, records management, records retention, forms design, online forms approval process, scanning. This should be a good improvement and have several functions in one integrated system. Replacement products are currently being evaluated by a project team and a decision will be forthcoming very soon.
- The office desk phone system (Cisco VOIP) will be upgraded in a few months.
- Many hardware/infrastructure related projects are underway that will result in better throughput of traffic. Also our current secured wireless network will be replaced, and more WiFi hotspots and cameras will be added as well.
- All remaining Lanier and Konica Minolta copiers will be replaced within the next month or so.
Changes to Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy
Jul 21, 2017
On July 18th, the Board of Commissioners approved changes to the Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy. Below are some of the noteworthy changes:
Section 9 – Electronic Communications Policy is a new re-written section
- 9.3 has a revised prohibited use list for electronic communications of any type.
Please note especially the items related to political, social, or religious messages and solicitation.
- 9.4 This section spells out specifically the procedure that is to be followed when requesting an e-mail to be sent to all users.
- 9.5 This section sets out an authorized format for the usage of signatures on out-going e-mail messages. Please note that phrases, quotes or other non-business information that is not part of identification of the sender is not allowed going forward.
- 9.6 This section is a revised Social Media policy formerly found in the Administrative manual.
You may read the new policy (in full) at the following links:
- Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy (Effective July 18, 2017)
- Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy (Changes Highlighted in Red)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Lynn Hartley at email@example.com.
FY2017 Internal Services Employee Survey
Jun 30, 2017
Dear City Employee:
As part of the annual performance measurement reporting process for Fiscal Year 2017, the City will be reviewing several of its internal service areas. These service areas include: Facilities Management, Fleet Maintenance, Human Resources, Communication Equipment Services, Information Technology Services, Legal Services, Procurement & Surplus, Risk Management, Financial Services, Public Information Services, City Care Center and Other Internal Services.
To aid in this process, every employee is being asked to complete a short survey. The survey allows you to rate each internal service area and to provide feedback which will help identify any areas still needing improvement and/or the areas that continue to perform well. Without your input, it is difficult to gauge the City's overall internal customer service performance.
The survey will remain open through July 31, 2017. Please click on the below link to access the survey electronically:
Or, a PDF of the survey is linked below if you would rather print out a paper copy to complete. Simply forward the completed survey back to me through inter-office mail. Your name is NOT required.
FY2017 Internal Services Employee Survey (PDF)
Supervisors, you are asked to forward a copy of the survey to any employees that do not regularly have access to email. You can direct them to the City Employee Home Page ( http://www.bgky.org/employee-only ) to access the survey link or provide them with a paper copy to complete and return to my attention.
I greatly appreciate your time and consideration with completing the 7th annual Internal Services Employee Survey. Your feedback is very helpful in order to make any necessary improvements.
Thank you in advance for your participation!
Assistant City Manager/City Clerk
City of Bowling Green
P.O. Box 430
1001 College Street
Bowling Green, KY 42102-0430
(270) 393-3632 office
(270) 393-3698 fax
(270) 792-6571 mobile