Employee Newsletter (October 2017)
Sep 29, 2017
The employee newsletter is now available to view on the CLICK for the month of October:
Results of Fiscal Year 2017 Internal Services Employee Survey
Aug 9, 2017
THANK YOU to everyone who participated and shared your comments in the seventh annual Internal Services Employee Survey. Without your input, it is difficult to gage the City's overall customer service performance. There were approximately 671 surveys distributed (based on the number of FT & PT employees on staff as of July 31, 2017) and 155 responses collected, providing a 23.1% response rate. Unfortunately, this year's efforts fell short of last year's response rate which was still not quite as good as other past years. For those who chose not to participate this year, please consider providing feedback during next year's process. Your opinion really does matter and helps to make a difference!
The information gathered will be used in conjunction with our quarterly/annual performance measurement reporting as well as in our efforts to continually improve internal customer satisfaction. The results of the survey are available for your review and reference.
FY17 Internal Services Employee Survey Results
Additionally, a comparison of responses over the past few years has been updated to show those areas which continue to perform well and those areas still needing further improvement. Each category was given a grade point, and the cumulative scores for FY17 identify all but two areas as ranking "good" or better. Facilities Repair & Maint. still ranks as "fair," reflecting a slight decline from last year, and Wireless Services, which reflects one of the largest improvements over last year among all categories. This year's highest score stays with Purchasing-Surplus Services. Although most service areas show a modest decline compared to last year's score, these minor fluctuations are not uncommon based on the number of given responses compared to the potential number of responses for that year. One other change of note is the Multi Year Avg GPA for Cellular Phones has finally reached a level of "good" leaving just three categories still below 3.0. overall.
Your dedication and service to the City of Bowling Green, and especially to your fellow co-workers is very much appreciated. Thank you again for your time and consideration as we continue to find ways to better serve ALL of our customers!
Assistant City Manager/City Clerk
Information Technology News
Jul 31, 2017
- MessageScreen (e-mail spam filter) will no longer be supported by the Vendor this Fall. We are currently testing out a new product that will be implemented in the very near future. More to come on that.
- DM (document management) will also be replaced this year with a product that ultimately will handle documents, searching, records management, records retention, forms design, online forms approval process, scanning. This should be a good improvement and have several functions in one integrated system. Replacement products are currently being evaluated by a project team and a decision will be forthcoming very soon.
- The office desk phone system (Cisco VOIP) will be upgraded in a few months.
- Many hardware/infrastructure related projects are underway that will result in better throughput of traffic. Also our current secured wireless network will be replaced, and more WiFi hotspots and cameras will be added as well.
- All remaining Lanier and Konica Minolta copiers will be replaced within the next month or so.
Changes to Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy
Jul 21, 2017
On July 18th, the Board of Commissioners approved changes to the Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy. Below are some of the noteworthy changes:
Section 9 – Electronic Communications Policy is a new re-written section
- 9.3 has a revised prohibited use list for electronic communications of any type.
Please note especially the items related to political, social, or religious messages and solicitation.
- 9.4 This section spells out specifically the procedure that is to be followed when requesting an e-mail to be sent to all users.
- 9.5 This section sets out an authorized format for the usage of signatures on out-going e-mail messages. Please note that phrases, quotes or other non-business information that is not part of identification of the sender is not allowed going forward.
- 9.6 This section is a revised Social Media policy formerly found in the Administrative manual.
You may read the new policy (in full) at the following links:
- Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy (Effective July 18, 2017)
- Computer Procedures and Ethics Policy (Changes Highlighted in Red)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Lynn Hartley at email@example.com.
FY2017 Internal Services Employee Survey
Jun 30, 2017
Dear City Employee:
As part of the annual performance measurement reporting process for Fiscal Year 2017, the City will be reviewing several of its internal service areas. These service areas include: Facilities Management, Fleet Maintenance, Human Resources, Communication Equipment Services, Information Technology Services, Legal Services, Procurement & Surplus, Risk Management, Financial Services, Public Information Services, City Care Center and Other Internal Services.
To aid in this process, every employee is being asked to complete a short survey. The survey allows you to rate each internal service area and to provide feedback which will help identify any areas still needing improvement and/or the areas that continue to perform well. Without your input, it is difficult to gauge the City's overall internal customer service performance.
The survey will remain open through July 31, 2017. Please click on the below link to access the survey electronically:
Or, a PDF of the survey is linked below if you would rather print out a paper copy to complete. Simply forward the completed survey back to me through inter-office mail. Your name is NOT required.
FY2017 Internal Services Employee Survey (PDF)
Supervisors, you are asked to forward a copy of the survey to any employees that do not regularly have access to email. You can direct them to the City Employee Home Page ( http://www.bgky.org/employee-only ) to access the survey link or provide them with a paper copy to complete and return to my attention.
I greatly appreciate your time and consideration with completing the 7th annual Internal Services Employee Survey. Your feedback is very helpful in order to make any necessary improvements.
Thank you in advance for your participation!
Assistant City Manager/City Clerk
City of Bowling Green
P.O. Box 430
1001 College Street
Bowling Green, KY 42102-0430
(270) 393-3632 office
(270) 393-3698 fax
(270) 792-6571 mobile
Following Finance - Fiscal Year-End June 2017
Jun 9, 2017
The Fiscal Year-End edition of the Following Finance newsletter is now available on the CLICK under Finance > AP/Accounting > Following Finance Newsletters.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS ISSUE:
- Fiscal Year-End (FYE) processes for purchase orders & invoices
- Mandatory POE Year-End Training info & dates (sign-up with doc #652694)
- FYE split payroll dates
- Procurement card usage during FYE
- FYE June - August calendar
Please contact me with any questions.
Following Finance - Spring 2017
Apr 19, 2017
The Spring 2017 Following Finance newsletter is now available on the Click under Finance > AP/Accounting Division > Following Finance Newsletter. This newsletter highlights the vendor change and procurement card programs and announces POE training sessions for Vendor Change Review in April and the Comprehensive AP Review in May.
Please contact us with any questions and/or feedback.
Med Center Health Letter - Possible PHI Misuse
Apr 7, 2017
A number of employees recently received a letter from Med Center Health detailing a possible breach of personal information, and offering to provide a free one year membership to Experian's ProtectMyID Alert. The City received a similar generic letter since employees and family members have used Med Center Health facilities and providers for services paid through the City's medical and worker's compensation insurance coverage. No details were provided regarding which facilities were affected or how far back medical services were provided. For those who did not receive the letter but may be concerned about protecting themselves, the letter and instructions to activate the ProtectMyID membership have been posted on the CLICK under Documents - Human Resources - Benefits Corner, titled "Med Center Health April 2017 PHI Security Alert".
FSA & HRA Reminders
Mar 17, 2017
Flexible Spending Accounts
Meritian will accept run-out claims for 2016 service dates until March 31, 2017. Any funds rolling over from 2016 will appear on the Meritain website after the run-out period. IMPORTANT REMINDER: Employees MUST complete a paper claim form to submit claims for 2016 during the run-out period. In order to submit a claim for 2016 the funds must be from the 2016 plan year. Employees CANNOT file 2016 claims with 2017 funds. Claim forms are located on The CLICK.
Health Reimbursement Accounts
HRA claims must be filed within 12 months of the service date. Claim forms are located on The CLICK.
Please contact Lori Gray, Benefits Manager, with any questions via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 393-3644
Payroll Changes effective 1/1/2017
Jan 12, 2017
Below is a summary of the changes that may impact employee net pay, beginning on the January 13th paycheck (in addition to any open enrollment changes):
- CERS retirement withholdings: All employees participating in a CERS retirement plan will begin paying FICA and Medicare taxes on CERS contributions. However, these contributions will remain exempt from federal income tax withholding. Prior to this change, FICA and Medicare taxes have not been withheld. For more information and sample calculations regarding the change, follow this link.
- Federal and state tax rates: All employees will be affected by the updated federal and state tax rates that begin on the January 13th paycheck. The IRS issues new tax rates each December for the following year.
- Health insurance premiums: All full-time employees will pay increased premiums after January 1, 2017. The new rates are identified in this link.
If you have any questions, please contact your departmental payroll clerk(s) or the payroll/finance department staff: April Cosby (3625), Robbi Hammock (3653), Erin Ballou (3312), Jeff Meisel (3645).