Feed on

Tree Ring History

The City of Bowling Green owns a neat piece of our history in the form of a tree. In 2010, a Norway Spruce (picea abies) in Fairview Cemetery was struck by lightning and died approximately one year later. The tree had been planted in the old section of the cemetery in 1873.

City employee Jay Dougherty took the time to create a Bowling Green timeline on a cutout piece from the tree. This interesting and creative piece now resides in our Landscape Division and makes a yearly appearance at the City of Bowling Green Arbor Day Celebration.

The trees in our City are a very important part of our history. Bowling Green KY has been recognized as a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation since 1994 and has received Growth Awards in the following years: 1995; 1996; 1997; 1998; 1999; 2007; 2009; 2010; 2011; 2012; 2014.

The following timeline highlights some of the important moments in Bowling Green’s history and is now marked on the tree. From most recent to oldest:

This tree was struck by lightning – 2010

Riverwalk Park was added – 2004

Russell Sims Aquatic Center added – 2000

Lovers Lane Complex was added – 1995

BG became a Tree City USA, the Tree Board was established – 1994

Hartland/Crosswinds Golf was added – 1991

Chevrolet Corvette Plant moved to BG and Crume Nature Park was added – 1981

Ogden Park was added – 1972

Kereiakes and Pedigo Parks were added – 1973

William Natcher parkway was finished – 1970

BG Mall opened – 1967

Hobson Grove was added (largest park at 223 acres) – 1965

I-65 was completed in BG and John F Kennedy spoke at City Hall during his campaign – 1960

Department of Parks and Recreation Division was established – 1957

2nd side of Fairview Cemetery was purchased – 1954

US 31W was opened – 1949

BG developed Parks and Recreation Board – 1941

Covington Woods Golf opened – 1933

KY Street Rail Depot was opened – 1925

City Hall was built – 1907

Reservoir Hill was made the first park in BG – 1896

First electric street car came to town – 1895

Arbor Day was made an official KY State holiday – 1887

This tree was planted in Fairview Cemetery – 1873


Leave a Reply