The cold weather and the holidays bring warm fires, good food, friends, family and great decorations. Unfortunately, the holidays can also bring a higher risk for fires.
While you are celebrating the holidays this year, take time to make sure that you follow the guidelines below provided by the Bowling Green Fire Department:
Only burn well-seasoned dry wood in your fireplace and never burn paper in a fireplace.
Never leave burning candles unattended or place them near anything combustible.
Always use power strips so that you don’t overload electrical outlets.
Inspect and replace lights and extension cords with exposed wires or damage.
Never run electrical cords through doorways or under rugs.
Unplug all of your lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
Never decorate metal trees with electric lights.
Keep Christmas trees away from all heat sources and exits.
Keep fresh cut Christmas trees sufficiently watered so the needles don’t dry out and shed.
Never leave your holiday cooking unattended.
Good Not Good!
For additional fire safety tips on candles, cooking, fire place, or turkey frying, visit http://www.bgky.org/announcements/407. Please remember to be safe and have fun this holiday season!!!!!! For more information on live Christmas trees, please visit http://www.bgky.org/announcements/408.
But seriously, if you’re going to fry a turkey – make sure you follow ALL safety guidelines. The Bowling Green Fire Department has been tweeting for weeks on what to do and what NOT to do. Follow us on Twitter or email email@example.com for tips!