Christmas Tree Safety
- November 24, 2017
- Fire Department
- Marlee Boenig - 270-393-3120
- Bowling Green, KY
As you decorate this holiday season, the Bowling Green Fire Department wants to offer a few tips to keep in mind when using natural trees.
Picking the Tree
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that bend but don't crack or break and don’t fall off when touched or the tree is shaken.
Placing the Tree
- Before putting the tree in its stand, cut 2” off the base of the trunk at a 45 degree angle. Immediately place the tree in water in its stand.
- Place the tree AT LEAST 3 feet away from all sources of heat, like fireplaces, heat vents, candles, etc.
- Do not block an exit with the tree.
- Add water to the tree DAILY! Make sure the stand is filled at all times. Never let the water get below the base of the tree.
Lighting the Tree
- Use only non-flammable decorations. Make sure the lights have the label of a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Inspect the lights for frayed or exposed wiring.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Disposing of the Tree
When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly! Dried out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the house or placed outside against the house. In the city, Scott Waste will pick up the discarded trees if they are placed by the curb. However, trees must be no larger than 5 feet tall. If your tree is over 5 feet, please cut it in half.
If you have any questions about fire safety, call the Bowling Green Fire Department at 270-393-3702.
Let us know if anything is wrong with this page. However, please don't include any personal or financial information.